Friday, May 1, 2009

Almost there...

This past weekend's race ended up being slightly different than we all expected. The road race course got changed due to snowy conditions in the mountains around Salt Lake City. Instead, the race was held on laps of the Miller Motorsports Park (a world class auto racing complex) outside of Salt Lake. We ended up doing 8 laps of a pancake-flat 7 mile loop, and I actually surprised myself with my performance. My legs actually felt like they had some jump in them, and I was able to take pulls at the front and respond to attacks with relative ease. We covered the 56 miles in just over 2 hours, so the race was quite fast. I ended up finishing somewhere around 20th, but not too far off the winning time. I finally feel like I'm getting some fitness back, which is encouraging. But the best news of the weekend was that our team won Conference Finals, which hasn't happened since I've been here at CU! We beat out two of the best teams in the country, CSU and Fort Lewis, which is just rad.

After a LONG drive home from Utah, it was time to face the last week of the semester. This past week I've been busy finishing up a big paper for a writing class, and getting ready for finals. I did manage to get one good ride in on Wednesday with Carter Jones. He had just gotten back from the Vuelta de Bisbee, and kicked my ass in a hill interval workout. I was sore the next day to say the least.

In other news, my roommate Chris just got back from spending 3 months in Africa. He did some AIDS education in Cape Town, and then worked with water treatment in Ghana. It sounds like it was an awesome experience for him. You can check out some of the cool stuff he got to do by reading his blog (click on the Trogdor blog to the right).

Well, that's about it for now. Finals start on Tuesday, end Thursday, and Road Nationals are next weekend! I'm unfortunately not going to be racing, but I will definitely be there cheering and gettin' rowdy. Hopefully we crush. I will leave you with one last thing... I found my new dream car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaENG1vt6-Y

No comments: