Sunday, March 14, 2010

CU Race

Yesterday was our home collegiate crit. Crashes marred the first 4 collegiate categories leading up to the Men's A race, and since I broke my wrist in a crash at this same course last year, I was quite nervous before my race. Fortunately, the majority of people know how to handle their bikes in the Men's A races, so I made it through unscathed. Our team made up the majority of the field, and we controlled most of the race, sending off attack after attack. I did my part by chasing and blocking, but everything ended up getting pulled back so it came down to a sprint finish. We weren't able to organize a strong lead out and we ended up not getting the W. However, I was up there at the finish and came across the line 13th, better than I usually do in crits. That and the fact that I didn't go down in a heap of bikes and bodies made the day a success in my book. Lisa also had a successful race in the Women's B field, taking a solid 4th place. She narrowly avoided a crash that saw another girl break her jaw, so she too was fortunate to come out unscathed.

Today was spent taking it easy seeing as I have very little work due between now and spring break. It feels nice to know that I can just coast this next week until more racing next weekend in Fort Collins. The weather was crappy today, but it's supposed to get nice in the middle of the week so hopefully I can get some good hours in on the bike. Maybe the trails will even be dry enough to do a little fat tire riding...

No comments: