Monday, April 7, 2008

April snow brings May flowers?

So this is my first post on my new blog! Hopefully with this whole blog thing, you (my friends and family) will be able to catch a glimpse of everyday life for me in beautiful Boulder, CO. Although right now, my life has a lot of constants, with those being school and training. In fact, that's about all that has been going on the last couple of months. A couple of weeks ago, I did get to spend the weekend with my parents, who flew out for the beginning of my spring break. It was so great to see them, and the short time they were here was jam-packed with activity. That Saturday, I had a collegiate cycling race up in Greeley, CO that they got to come watch. Immediately after that, we drove up to Estes Park, and got some fresh mountain air and stunning views. The next day was our home collegiate race in the morning, which I followed up with my first pro/1/2/3 race in the afternoon. In fact it was an afternoon of firsts, because it also happened to be my first race with my new cycling team, Vitamin Cottage. The race went especially well for me, because I got to race with the big guns- Tom Danielson, Ivan Stevic, Chris Baldwin, and many more, and I hung in for the entire 1 hour crit. I did get dropped with 2 laps to go, but it was close enough to the end that I didn't get lapped, and that was a moral victory for me. I'm so glad my parents got to be here to watch, as it was definitely a milestone (if only a small one) in my short cycling career.

The next day was spent on a very pleasant hike up at Walker Ranch. We were again treated to relatively mild weather for this time of year, and of course great views at the top. Unfortunately, this was my parents last day of their visit, and the next morning they flew back to Richmond. The time they were here was short, but well spent and enjoyed by all. I can't wait to see them again.

After my parents' visit, I was able to go to Moab, Utah for 4 days of mountain biking with Abby, Chris, Peter, and James, all friends from the cycling team. It was my first trip to Moab, and I don't think I could have had a better first experience. We camped at the Slickrock Trailhead, and got to ride some of the coolest trails I have ever ridden. I think the Porcupine Rim Trail was by far my favorite, and each day was in the 70's, so that made the trip even better. There's nothing like riding your bike all day, then coming back and relaxing at the campsite all night, and then getting up and doing it all again the next day (all without a shower, of course). In fact, that was the only downside to the trip... no running water. But I definitely got my fair share of hobo showers in the City Market. After Moab, we went to Fruita, CO on the way back towards Boulder to get one more good mountain bike ride in before everyone had to head back. We hit up the Mary's Loop and Moore Fun trails in Fruita, which were just as technical and fun as the trails in Moab. After our ride we parted ways, as Abby and Peter went back to Boulder, and I stayed in Grand Junction for the collegiate road race the next day. I met up with the rest of the team that night at our hotel, and got a much needed shower before going to bed early. The race the next day went fairly well. It was a 60 mile road race, with a fair amount of climbing. I got in a break, and ended up taking 7th in the B's, which was a pretty decent result this early in the season. Last year I took 2nd in the race when it was the Conference Championship road race, so the course seems to suit my strengths.

After my busy but fun spring break, it was back to school, and that's all that has really happened the last week and a half. This past weekend I got to race again, with a hill climb in Golden on Saturday, and the always-popular Koppenburg Road Race on Sunday. The hill climb went alright place-wise (5th), but I felt that I could have pushed a little harder because I ended up with a lot left in the tank at the end. Oh well. The Koppenburg on Sunday was a different story. It was only my second Cat 3 road race ever and considering, I think I did alright. I dropped my chain going into the first climb, then had to chase hard to get back on. Bad luck struck again on the third lap, when there was a brutal crash in front of me on the fastest part of the course (40 mph). I heard broken ribs, wrists, and dislocated shoulders were the result. I didn't go down, fortunately. However, I did get gapped from the front group, and ended up having to work with one other guy for the next three laps which was super hard, especially with the strong winds. I ended up 22nd out of 47, so I guess I can't complain too much. A mid-pack finish in my first Cat 3 race of the year... I'll take it.

After yesterday's race, my legs needed some rest. I wasn't sure whether to go on an easy ride today or to just plain take the day off, but my choice was made for me when I awoke to snow on the ground and temperatures in the high 30's. I guess April snows bring May flowers out here in Colorado, at least that seems to be the trend. Hopefully tomorrow will be nicer and I can get a good workout in. Oh yeah, and study more for my physics test tomorrow night...

I will leave you with a few pictures from the past few weeks.


In Fruita, CO


My new car in Moab with 5, count 'em, 5 bikes on top


Chris and James livin' on the edge


Peter and James peering over


on the attack


lined up for the pro/1/2/3 race next to Chris Baldwin
and Tom Danielson!


some big horn sheep on the way to Estes Park


view of Boulder with a dusting of snow

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Andy, you're nuts. My quads hurt just reading about all those rides. Thanks for starting the blog! I can't wait to hear more!

Did I mention that we're expecting a cold front to come in on Monday? The high is going to be 70! Burrrr! Throw an April snowball for me!