Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Crested Butte

This past weekend the whole Boulder gang went down to Crested Butte for the fourth stop in the Mountain States Cup mountain bike series. I had never been to CB before, so I was pretty stoked. Plus, it was my first real mountain bike race ever. The drive down was scenic, and pretty entertaining. John, Bryan, Sarah, Wayne and I headed down first, and Katie, Kate, Caitlin and Phil came down later in the evening. When we got into Crested Butte, the scenery was breathtaking. After registering, we went on an adventure to find a campsite for the weekend. After a couple no-go's, we finally found an amazing campsite about 8 miles up a dirt road, near the aptly-named Paradise Divide. The pictures say it all.




Our race was at 9 the next morning so we went to bed early on Friday night, but not before going back into town and eating at the Brick Oven, and amazing pizza place on the main strip. On the way back to camp, we took Bryan's car off-roading through a river that was much deeper than we thought, but it all turned out alright. It was pretty cool.

On Saturday morning, I got to the race feeling pretty nervous. I didn't really know what to expect in the race, and not being able to pre-ride the course didn't really help much. I raced the sport category, so there really wasn't too much to be worried about, but I still wanted to do well. The race was 20 miles, and started out on a long climb. Without a very good warm-up, my legs and lungs were really feeling it on that climb. But about halfway through the first lap, I started to feel good. I held my position in my category and only had to deal with catching and being caught by riders in other categories. The course was awesome, with some sweet single track through aspen groves and a pretty fun descent, which all made for a great first mountain bike race. When it was all said and done, I took fourth in the sport category and got to stand on the podium! Not too bad for my first race! The rest of Saturday was spent playing some cornhole (its' the beanbag tossing game) with Dave from Mafia Racing and a bunch of other people. We also got to watch Wayne own the clunker crit... a three lap race that involves chugging a beer both before and after the three laps (I don't think I've ever seen anyone chug a beer as fast as Wayne). Then we went back to the campsite and hung out around the campfire. It was a pretty awesome day.


Sunday we woke up and packed up the campsite. Then we went and got coffee at a really cool coffee shop in town. After the coffee, we were all wired and ready to go for a mountain bike ride on one of the many trails around CB. The trail we rode was probably the coolest trail I've ever ridden, with awesome flowing single track and amazing views. Plus, there was a really cool creek crossing that was as deep as my tires and I was surprisingly able to ride it. It was a perfect way to end our time in CB.




The beginning of this week was spent with class and studying for a test. Pretty lame. But tonight was the Wednesday night short track, and it was a lot of fun as usual. I helped set up, then raced in the B race, then got to watch a battle of the big guns in the men's A race, with Bryan Alders and Brian Fuentes going up against JHK of the Gary Fisher team. It was pretty cool to see some of the best riders in the country at our local short track race. After the race, I went to Katie, Kate, and Caitlin's house for the traditional post-race dinner and now I'm headed to bed. Another good day.





No comments: